The Best Vehicles for Towing a Boat
Here at Butler Auto Group, we’re well aware of the many great boating opportunities that are available to us, being blessed to live in a part of the country surrounded by such beautiful lakes. If you’re a boat owner—or if you’re thinking about buying a boat—it’s important to make sure that you’re driving the right kind of vehicle for your boat towing needs. Here we’ve provided a guide of things to keep in mind when shopping, as well as a few different vehicle options to consider.
What to Consider First
Before you choose the right vehicle for your boating needs, there are some important things you should take into consideration:
- Boat Size: There’s more than just your next vehicle to consider. In order to best determine the right vehicle for your boat towing needs, it’s essential to know how big your vehicle is. If you’ve got a small rowboat, you could be looking at just a few hundred pounds. A power fishing boat might weight 2,000 pounds or more, and a big deck likely weights 8,000 or 10,000 pounds.
- Vehicle Features: When considering the right boat towing vehicle for your needs, you’re likely going to be looking at a variety of different truck and SUV options. During the process, look for features like a trailer hitch, a rearview camera, a trailer sway control setting to keep your load stable on the road, and a max towing capacity that is over the total weight of your boat and trailer combined.
Vehicles to Consider
The fact is, there are a lot of different options out there depending on the kind of boat you’ve got, but here are a few Butler Auto Group cars worth consideration:
- 2017 Honda Ridgeline: If you’ve got a smaller boat, and want a truck that can comfortably fit your entire boatload of people, the Honda Ridgeline is a solid and affordable option. While it’s based on a unibody design with available all-wheel drive, you’ll still have a confident output of 280 hp and 262 lb-ft of torque from a 3.5L V6 engine that gives you a max towing capacity of 5,000 pounds.
- 2016 Ford F-150: For drivers with bigger loads who also want to save money on fuel, the 2016 Ford F-150 is an excellent choice. Offered with a 3.5L V6, a turbocharged 2.7L V6, a 5.0L V8, and a turbocharged 3.5L V6, you’ll have plenty of different options. This full-size pickup is offered with rear-wheel and four-wheel drive and has a max towing capacity of 12,200 pounds when properly equipped.
- 2016 RAM 2500: For those with the biggest boats, a RAM 2500 heavy-duty pickup truck might be in order. This robust pickup truck features a high-strength frame and an available turbo-diesel 6.7L inline-six that makes up to 370 hp, 800 lb-ft of torque, and has a max towing capacity of 17,980 pounds.
Check Out More Options at your Local Butler Auto Group Dealership
These are just a few of the options out there for people interested in buying a vehicle that can tow a boat. Chances are you’ll want to consider even more, and for that it’s best to make it to your local Butler Auto Group dealership to take some test drive and chat with our experts to get the best advice out there. If we can be of any assistance along the way, feel free to contact us and we’ll be glad to help you out.